Thursday, March 8, 2018

Agency and Anger


Dianne Poulson posted Mar 6, 2018 10:06 PM

to Group 9
 Last edited: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:08 PM MST 
This page automatically marks posts as read as you scroll.
Adjust automatic marking as read setting
Vote
0
     I really enjoyed Elder Robbins article on anger and felt like I learned so much from his wisdom.  I really thought that if someone "made" you mad, you had a right to be angry.  In reading this article, I stand corrected.  "A cunning part of Satan's strategy is to dissociate anger from agency, making us believe that we are victims of an emotion that we cannot control."  Wow-I never knew!  An old joke from the 70's was a comedian named Flip Wilson who used to always claim, "The Devil Made Me Do It!" I always thought it was a handy excuse, but now I know it is not true.
                      

     The family is one of our greatest gifts in this life.  Because of the blessings of eternity that await us as a family, Satan's focus is on us. "One of his schemes is the subtle and cunning ways he has of sneaking behind enemy lines and entering  our very homes and lives.  He damages and often destroys families within the walls of their own homes."  I have seen this to be true and have even felt it in my own home.  Contention can arise and divide a family if we are not careful.

 














  I liked the definition attached to the word "lost" when it talks about losing something.  "Losing one's temper is an interesting choice of words that has become a widely used idiom."  One of the definitions of "to lose" means accidental, involuntary or not responsible!  See, I was right, it's not my fault when I lose my temper! 
       I loved the story about William Wilbanks trying out for the basketball team and his coach reprimanding him for losing his temper.  Wilbanks said he never did it again in the three years he played for that coach.  What a wonderful lesson to have learned at such an early age.
     Heavenly Father has instructed us in this matter also when he said, "Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against the other, but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away." 3 Nephi 11:29-30  It is the Lord's will that we should not be angry with one another.  The examples from Brother Faust about people who had experienced accidents where drunk drivers had taken the lives of their loved ones, and then have gone on to forgive them simply amaze me.  Could I be so magnanimous?
           David O. McKay said, "Husbands and wives should never speak in loud tones to each other, unless the house was on fire!"  How funny!
           But here is the line that touched me the most and has made me want to accept this challenge: "We can choose not to become angry.  and we can make that choice today, right now: "I will never become angry again."  This is the challenge we have been given, and I, for one, am choosing to accept it!  What about you?  Will you join me?

James 5:12

  • New Testament
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your naynay; lest ye fall into condemnation. 

No comments: