Friday, March 2, 2018

Pride

Pride




Dianne Poulson posted Feb 28, 2018 7:49 PM

to Group 9
 Last edited: Friday, March 2, 2018 3:44 PM MST 
This page automatically marks posts as read as you scroll.
Vote
0
      First of all, I want to say that not all pride is bad!  The pride we feel about America is something that runs deep, and that we are proud of!  We can be proud of our family.  We can be proud of our talents!
 
     




















Pride is only bad if we let it get out of hand.
     "Pride goeth before the fall" is actually a statement taken from Proverbs 16:18.  It points out that people who are arrogant or haughty eventually have their comeuppance.  Comeuppance is defined as "a punishment or fate that someone deserves".   (The new Dictionary of Cultural Literacy) I'm not sure about the rest of the world, because I don't know if everyone who is prideful falls, but it has been true in my experience. Every time I have found myself with too much pride, I feel like something humbles me.  I can't quite make myself say that Heavenly Father allows it to happen, and yet there are examples of it throughout the scriptures. In this Conference talk, "Beware of Pride", President Benson mentions the names of both Oliver Cowdery and Emma Smith. He warns them both about pride.  Emma's scripture could easily have been dedicated to me.  "Continue in the spirit of meekness, and beware of pride. Let thy soul delight in thy husband, and the glory which shall come upon him." (D&C 25:14)
     When ever I listen to Conference, I always think that each talk should be prefaced with "Dianne..." because it is as if they are speaking to me, and me alone!   "Beware of Pride" by President Ezra Taft Benson could start the same way!  I learned so much from this talk because I always thought of pride as "self centeredness, conceit, boastfulness, arrogance, or haughtiness."  If that were the definition, then I could say, "No, I am not prideful."  But the true definition given by President Benson is that "the central feature of pride is enmity-enmity toward God and enmity towards our fellowmen. Enmity means "hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition. (These next two lines are where I see pride in me) Selfishness is one of the more common faces of pride.  'How everything affects me' is the center of all that matters-self conceit, self-pity, worldly self-fulfillment, self-gratification and self-seeking." Bingo!  I have become a "me-monster!!"
     Thank Heavens that this talk not only points out what pride is, but how to overcome it!  "The antidote for pride is humility-meekness, submissiveness.  It is a broken heart and a contrite spirit."

     So, how do we "choose to be humble"?  Is it a conscious decision that we make everyday?  From what I have read, yes! The only way that I know that I have been able to overcome the flaws in my personality is through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  No matter how badly I want to change something in myself, I have learned that it is only through the atonement that I can be reshaped and redirected. It gives me one more reason to be grateful for the Savior and his willingness to atone for me.
     Hymns also help remind me of who and what I want to become.
https://youtu.be/2HsDIf_h5qU)  
(This is beautifully done!)
More holiness give me,
More strivings within,
More patience in suff’ring,
More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of his care,
More joy in his service,
More purpose in prayer.
More gratitude give me,
More trust in the Lord,
More pride in his glory,
More hope in his word,
More tears for his sorrows,
More pain at his grief,
More meekness in trial,
More praise for relief.
More purity give me,
More strength to o’ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains,
More longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be,
More blessed and holy—
More, Savior, like thee.
    Some people are visual learners, I am a musical learner!  I think the hardest thing to do with pride is to identify that we have an issue with it.  It is not something to be proud of.  (No pun intended!)  But if I am in league with Emma Smith, then I am in good company!  I love the quote, "we must cleanse the inner vessel by conquering pride."  I think it is time for me to do some spring cleaning! Thank you, President Benson.
 How do you keep pride out of your life? How do you find humility?

No comments: