Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Calling! (to go along witht he old one!)

Scott and I are still teaching Sunday School, he the 16-year olds (they love him!) and me the adults (they tolerate me!), but we received a new calling about a month ago. It is called "Substance Abuse Recovery Missionaries". It is to help people who are struggling with any addictions that they cannot overcome on their own. It is based on the 12-step Alcohol Anonymous Program, but is gospel centered. How many of us realize we can't overcome anything challenging with out the help of the Savior?! We attended our first training meeting by attending a group over in Pocatello. Can I just tell you what a spiritually enlightening experience it was?! There was every addiction represented, but the people were so amazing in their efforts and determination to overcome their weaknesses. It made me aware of some areas I would like to gain some strength in also. The sister missionary in charge of the group we attended opened with prayer and said this "Help us to see these people through the eyes of the Savior..." That gives you a whole different picture of people, doesn't it? We had our first meeting in Aberdeen last night and the result was the same. I was so impressed. I am grateful for this opportunity to learn and to serve.

No comments: